Wondering where to find your Christmas cheer this year? For those on a fixed income, or no income at all, this season can be difficult, to say the least. Too many in our country are still unemployed, though there are a few signs of that changing in 2012. With no office party or gifts under a tree, it's easy to slip into a Grinch-like mood. But you don't have to! There are many ways to give of yourself instead of store-bought presents. Find a couple of ideas that fit you and go through the holidays with a smile on your face! It is important to give to feel good about yourself.
Spread Christmas cheer by:
1) Volunteering to serve holiday dinner at a homeless shelter. Converse with someone who is also facing hard times. You may even see that you have much to be happy about.
2) Creating your own gifts for loved ones and friends. Home-baked goodies are a treat that adults and kids alike will appreciate. What else could you make?
3) Giving handmade gift certificates for services you can perform. Lawn care, babysitting, car washing – what else can you do?
4) Hosting a potluck party for family and friends. Ask everyone to bring a dish to share. Spend the evening singing carols, playing board games, or watching vintage Christmas movies.
5) Inviting friends to drop off their kids for an old fashioned tree trimming party while the adults dash out for their last-minute shopping. Provide popcorn and cranberries to string into ropes and supervise cookie decorating.
I'm sure I've left out some good ideas – what are they? Please leave your comments below to help everyone have a Merry Christmas!
Wishing you career success in 2021!